Sunday, February 4, 2007

Blue Collar Christian

Ever feel like you just don't fit in? Like, you're at an "out of your league" party and everyone's eating caviar while you're in the kitchen warming fish sticks? That's me in ministry.

What was God thinking when He decided to let me do what I do? My background is not that of a contemplative. Those who raised me in the faith were antagonistic in their approach. God's grace was His to keep and our job was to jam Him down people's throats with a healthy dose of guilt, rules, and assumptions about decorum. Yuck. Decorum. I hate decorum. It's kind of a sissy word, in my opinion. And, those of you that possess it just bristled at my use of the word "hate." You're not going to like this blog site.

When I first saw the Blue Collar Comedians on television, I found the words to describe who I am...a Blue Collar Christian. By God's grace He is helping me clean the inside of my heart, but there will always be cars on blocks on the outside, grass growing around broken mowers and discarded toilets used as flower pots. It's how I roll.

I lead discussions in a room of about thirty other men who allow my blue collar ways to fly freely. I communicate in politically questionable terms, but try diligently to honor God in the process. I love those guys, and I'd like you to meet them sometime.

What I want to put here are the things I couldn't fit into conversations out there in the real world. This is where I get to actually say the things I'd have said if I could've called that idiot running the talk radio show I was listening to last Wednesday. Man, would I have straightened him out. Where is President Bush when he needs me?

And so I embark on a new venue (sissy words #2 & #3) to express myself. I am a cantankerous conservative who thinks he has all the answers while not fully understanding the questions. Just like on talk radio...

4 comments:

Red Letter Believers said...

Tim

Blue Collar is what makes you REAL. I'm sick of phonies. Give me someone who struggles -- like I do -- and I'm his bud.
David

Candace said...

If I had known you LIKED grass growing up all over the place, I never would have TOUCHED a lawn mower. Why'd I have to go through that torment?

Anonymous said...

Only one guy I know could have a blog about sarcasum. Dont change a thing man. Actually your off on a lot of your theology but we love you anyway.

"Da Boldt"

Aatrus said...

I agree with Reddy up there.

your realness is what should matter, not what etiquette society tends to follow.

Love the blog. I need more!

PS. Your daughter complains about work a lot. You wouldn't believe all the stuff she makes me do....