Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Naked City


I was born in 1958. That same year, a television show was born that had a run long enough for me to remember it. I didn't watch it, of course. I was into Bozo the Clown, Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room. My parents must have watched it a lot, however, because at the end of every show I remember an ominous voice that came on saying "There are eight million stories in the Naked City. This has been one of them."

I thought about that line today as I drove to work from having breakfast with a friend. He's someone that I've not known long, and whose experiences I have only begun to hear. He has a life that has been full and treacherous and uplifting and heartbreaking. He has a story. We all have a story.

I am a man most blessed with friends and loved ones who have heard or are willing to hear my story. I have found over the last ten years that telling that story is important. Telling your story solidifies it in your mind. It brings reason and truth to your experiences. It puts the chapters together for you, because until you tell your story, you don't realize that the parts you choose to tell connect in amazing ways to the parts you keep secret.

The chapters already written cannot be edited. The characters are already established. Many of them have had a major influence on the plot while others are bit players. The villains are in place, and the heroes are yet to be fully discovered. When you tell your story, you become the narrator, sharing only a chapter at a time and adding emphasis and drama for flair when appropriate. You skim over the mundane details to hold the interest of your listeners. It's your story, after all. It has to be interesting. It's what put you on the page today, now, this very minute.

Look around you. Make yourself aware of where you are, what you are doing, where you are sitting , how you are feeling. That is where the story has led thus far. It didn't just happen, it's part of the plot. What's next? How will it end? Will your character develop? Will your story matter?

Remember that there are "eight million" other stories out there. You are in many of those too. In some you are a major player - maybe a villain or a hero. In most you are a walk-on, a "man in doorway" or "women walking dog." What if you decided to be part of a happy ending - if not of the story, at least of a chapter? Would it change your role?

Tell your story. If you aren't connected to someone who will listen, then go out and listen to the stories of others until it's your turn to talk. When it is, tell it the way it was written without the edits and without the eraser. You will see it in a way that just mulling it over on your pillow at night never allowed you to.

You will see that you can have the editor's pen and decide how it ends. You're the hero, it just hasn't been written as such. Yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I am learning about my story is that it is my job to be actively participating in it... I don't have full control over its outcome, but I need to be active in planning and preparing for the future chapters even while I am writing this one.

If I am not intentional about how I want to direct my life it will just follow whatever path it takes. Now I know "the steps of a righteous man are ordered of the Lord," but it is very clear in Proverbs that we are to be intentional about our lives and not just letting life happen around us.

Anonymous said...

ok, Kiwi.... in my endings I'm the hero, BUT really your the hero in my life! I love you.
P.S. Where was you, where was you at!

Red Letter Believers said...

Tim

Thanks for letting me be 'that' friend.

And thanks for the reminder about our part in the whole scheme of things. I sometimes want to be the beginning, the middle, and the end of the book. Basically, I want to be the story.

But calls us to be just a chapter. Maybe we are but a paragraph or a sentence. Sometimes we are simply a comma or a period or exclamation point in someone's life.

And the real truth is that we dont know the whole story. Only God knows the book - beginning to end.

David Rupert
www.redletterbelievers.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Tim...I loved this! c

Anonymous said...

Part of my story is the story.
Much of it I'm the writer but alot of it I'm only the reader, which has nothing to do with my telling it. Some of this stuff I couldn't have written.

I have a fictional version in my head that I try to keep separate from the non-fictional one. I like the fictional version because I've written and edited everything.

I've found that writing and telling the fictional one has directly effected the non-fictional one, which explains why it's so much longer.

Candace said...

It's funny - this post came in the midst of a lot of story-talk in the Joice household. (I love saying that;o) We watched two movies this week that we all about truly living your life - about not missing out on your own story and engaging in the stories of others. The movies were "Joe vs. the Volcano" (can you believe Cary has never seen it?) and "Stranger Than Fiction" (which you really need to see - order it through Blockbuster or something).

Story-telling is what I love about theatre. When I come into my classroom on the first day of the semester, the first thing I do is talk with my students about how people love to tell and hear stories, and the more honest and bare they are, the more we believe them and cherish them. This is why I love to act - to tell a story to an audience and allow them to learn and grow from that story.

Alright. Enough.

I really like how you use Star Wars characters on the M&I site. Good stuff.